The Project Management Institute (PMI), Taproot Foundation and A Billion + Change were hard at work on Monday, Jan. 19 during MLK Day of Service for the LARGEST pro bono ScopeAthon ever. Over 400 project managers descended on Tyson’s Corner for three-hour diagnostic sessions to identify one organizational challenge at a nonprofit, brainstorm solutions, and develop a scope of work for a project that addresses that need. Project managers scoped projects for 100 local nonprofits! Thanks to our friends at CNCS, we were honored to kick off the event with remarks from the U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, who emphasized the importance of service and the role that the private sector plays in improving communities. View photos from the event here.
During the ScopeAthon, A Billion + Change launched the #ScopeForChange campaign to build awareness for project managers and nonprofits who unleashed the potential of their time and talent through skills-based volunteering. Participants were excited to tell us why they decided to #ScopeForChange:
- I #ScopeForChange because I want to leave this earth better than I found it.
- I #ScopeForChange because I want my 4-year-old to grow up in a community full of love.
- I #ScopeForChange because project managers get change done!!
- I #ScopeForChange because I want to help others do more!!!
The enthusiasm among project managers and nonprofits alike was contageous. Participants were excited to be involved and so many were grateful for the opportunity to show that project management is a field of highly-skilled professionals that can make the lives and jobs of nonprofits much easier. We're so excited to have been involved in the ScopeAthon to honor the legacy and service of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by unleashing the potential of the private sector to use their time and talent for good!
Check out additional media:
- Day of Service ScopeAthon: Interview with Georgia Gillette (B+C) and Kendall Lott (PMI) [Video] - Let's Talk Live
- Here’s How Over 400 Project Managers Used Their Skills to Impact the DC Area - #ScopeForChange Recap - 3BL Media
- PMI Volunteers Help Companies in Need at Inaugural Project Management Day of Service - Business Wire
- Something Crazy Happens When You Pack a Ballroom with Project Managers - BISNOW
- U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker and Hundreds of Volunteers Join Largest Pro Bono Service Event in D.C. Area - 3BL Media
- Taproot Organizes Pro Bono Service Event to Support 100 Nonprofits - Justmeans
- Secretary Pritzker and Deputy Secretary Andrews Participate in MLK Day of Service - U.S. Department of Commerce Blog
- U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker and Hundreds of Volunteers Join Largest Pro Bono Service Event in D.C. Area - CSRwire
- Obamas take part in King Day service event - The Washington Times (mentions scopeAthon event)
- The President and First Lady, Vice President Biden, Cabinet Secretaries, and Senior Administration Officials Honor Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - The White House
The ScopeAthon was facilitated by the Taproot Foundation in collaboration with five D.C. Metro Area chapters of the Project Management Institute and with support from A Billion + Change and Hewlett-Packard.